1 plants, generally speaking the plants received will be on the smaller side.
Crinum calamistratum, often known as the "African Onion Plant" or "Twisted Crinum," is a unique and attractive aquarium plant with long, ribbon-like leaves. Here are the care requirements to help you cultivate Crinum calamistratum successfully in your aquarium:
- Provide moderate to high-intensity lighting. Crinum calamistratum benefits from strong light to support its growth and maintain vibrant coloration.
- Plant Crinum calamistratum in a nutrient-rich substrate. While it can tolerate various substrates, a nutrient-rich substrate or the use of root tabs can enhance its growth.
- Regularly dose a comprehensive liquid fertilizer to supply essential nutrients. Crinum calamistratum is a moderate feeder and benefits from regular nutrient supplementation.
**4. CO2 Injection:**
- While not strictly necessary, providing a source of CO2 can enhance growth and overall health. Crinum calamistratum can adapt to both low-tech and high-tech setups.
- Maintain a temperature range of 72-82°F (22-28°C). Crinum calamistratum can adapt to a variety of temperatures within this range.
**6. Water Parameters:**
- pH: 6.0-7.5
- Hardness: Soft to moderately hard water is suitable. Crinum calamistratum is adaptable to various water parameters but prefers stable conditions.
**7. Planting Depth:**
- Plant the bulb of Crinum calamistratum so that about half of it is buried in the substrate. The roots should be well-anchored in the substrate while the bulb sits slightly above.
- Minimal pruning is generally required. Remove any old or yellowing leaves to encourage new growth.
- Crinum calamistratum is often used as a midground or background plant due to its size. Plant it in clusters for a more visually appealing effect.
**10. Water Flow:**
- Provide gentle water circulation. Crinum calamistratum does not require strong water flow, and a gentle current is usually sufficient.
**11. Tank Mates:**
- Choose tank mates that won't disturb the delicate leaves. Crinum calamistratum is generally not a target for herbivorous fish.
**12. Algae Control:**
- Maintain good aquarium hygiene to prevent algae growth. Keep the plant's surfaces clean for optimal light absorption.
- Regularly observe the plant for any signs of nutrient deficiencies, pests, or diseases.
- Monitor its growth and adjust care routines based on the specific conditions of your aquarium.
By following these care guidelines, you can enjoy the elegant and distinctive appearance of Crinum calamistratum in your aquarium.