Hydrocotyle Tripartita Japan
Expect a 4oz volume portion
Hydrocotyle tripartita 'Japan' is a popular aquatic plant in the aquarium hobby known for its attractive and lush appearance:
1. **Appearance:** Hydrocotyle tripartita 'Japan' has small, round leaves that are bright green. The leaves are typically divided into three lobes, giving the plant its name. It features a trailing or creeping growth habit, making it an excellent choice for creating carpeting effects in aquariums.
2. **Growth Habit:** This plant is relatively low-growing and spreads horizontally. When provided with optimal conditions, it can form dense, carpet-like mats over the substrate in your aquarium.
3. **Lighting:** Hydrocotyle tripartita 'Japan' prefers moderate to high lighting. In lower light conditions, it may grow more slowly and appear less compact.
4. **CO2 and Nutrients:** To achieve the best growth and coloration, it benefits from the addition of carbon dioxide (CO2) and regular nutrient supplementation. A balanced liquid fertilizer can help promote its health.
5. **Water Parameters:**
- **Temperature:** It thrives at temperatures between 68-82°F (20-28°C).
- **pH:** Maintain a slightly acidic to neutral pH level (around 6.0-7.0).
- **Hardness:** Soft to moderately hard water is suitable.
6. **Maintenance:** Regular pruning is necessary to keep the plant's carpeting effect tidy and to prevent it from overshadowing other aquarium plants. Trim it to maintain your desired appearance.
7. **Substrate:** Plant Hydrocotyle tripartita 'Japan' in a nutrient-rich substrate or use root tabs for fertilization. A good substrate helps promote its growth and appearance.
8. **Propagation:** This plant can be propagated by simply snipping and replanting cuttings. It quickly forms roots and continues to grow.
Hydrocotyle tripartita 'Japan' is a popular choice among aquascapers and aquarists looking to create lush and carpeted aquascapes in their aquariums. Its compact, creeping growth habit and bright green coloration make it an appealing addition to planted tanks. With the right care and attention to water parameters and lighting, it can create a beautiful, natural-looking carpet in your aquatic environment.